Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tip From Tara: Breathing and Barking

This is going to be short and simple. Unless you're some magical being who has no lungs or is pumped full of some gas requiring no circulation or renewal, I think it's safe to say you breathe.

You breathe 24/7. So what kind of dialogue tag is this?

"I think you're sexy," he breathed.

When did he stop breathing? Did anyone do CPR on the poor guy?

I hate it. Get it out of your MS. Unless the character is a magical being pumped full of gas who hardly ever breathes. LOL

And while I'm on the subject of irritating dialogue tags...

"Go to your room!" she barked.

Always, without fail, I visualize the character falling to his/her hands and knees and yapping like a dog. If you don't want me picturing that, you may want to revise it.

And that's all. Have a great day and don't forget to breathe. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment