Monday, August 19, 2013

In Defense of the Queen (Susanna Horenbout and John Parker #3) by Michelle Diener

In Defense of the Queen (Susanna Horenbout & John Parker, #3)First of all, I have not read the first two books, but the blurb (on netgalley) promised this book could stand alone. I began to follow Michelle Diener after reading her Daughter of the Sky. I'm very impressed with her writing and her "voice". I like her heroines too.

But I was confused while reading this book and I have to disagree with the blurb. It's best to read the first two. I don't feel this stood alone well and I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more had I known who everyone was. The back story was not included, really. Usually, sequels include enough of the history of the series' characters to acquaint new readers. I was just suddenly introduced a lot of people. I didn't know their ages, what they looked like, why this lady had a bunch of boys following her around.

That being said, I did, despite all that, find it a pleasant read when I wasn't confused. It's Henry VIII's court and a young woman painter is suddenly accused of treason for the silliest of reasons...well, what we would consider silly NOW, but back then even looking at the king funny could get your head chopped off... She's thrown in the tower and her betrothed sweats bullets--and us with him--as he tries to keep her from being tortured and gain a pardon from the king.

It's rather intense. You never know what's going to happen next, who is going to show up to take her away, or when, and what they're going to do. The heroine is calm and maintains her wits. I liked her and I will read the first two of this series eventually. And that's a compliment from me.. See, these books never got put on my TBR because I saw the words Tudor court and I was Tudor'd out, but Michelle Diener is such an excellent writer that now I do want to read them.

Oooh and towards the end, just when you think all is well, another little plot is uncovered and Susannah must foil the malicious plans. Def. my kind of heroine.

I received this from netgalley.





No comments:

Post a Comment